For two years, Compos Mentis Legal Practitioners (CMLP) has consistently encouraged the development of legal minds in Nigeria. This has been carried out through the Essay Competition organised by the firm whose first edition (The ABEL O. AKPEDEYE ESSAY COMPETITION) began in 2020.
In keeping with this legacy of excellence, this year the Firm hosted the DAFE AKPEDEYE SAN essay Competition. The Essay topic for this year was: “Drake’s 2018 ‘In my feelings’, the Proliferated Shiggy Dance, and Copyright considerations – the Nigerian Perspective’
It was an intense intellectual contest spanning across all the faculties of law in Nigeria. Various essay entries were received and painstakingly examined by a well-bred panel of erudite law scholars namely:
1. Professor Ayoyemi Lawal Arowolo of Babcock University
2. Professor Bukola Akinola of Elizade University
3. Dr Emmanuel Olowononi of the Nigerian Law School
4. Dr Idoreyin Eyoh of the University of Uyo
5. Dr Nelson Umeobi of Nnamdi Azikiwe University
6. Senator Iyere Ihenyen; Lead Partner, Infusion Lawyers
Indeed, essay entries passing through such a panel is comparable to trying gold in fire and only the best could survive such intensive scrutiny.
At the end of the exhaustive assessment, 4 champions emerged and they were gloriously revealed during the May Webinar of CMLP. The Winners are:
· Iliya-Ezekiel Ndatse – Afe Babalowa University
· Joseph Matawa – University of Benin
· Mercy Nwaogazie – Nnamdi Azikiwe University
Tied for Second Position
· Rosemary Ejiogu – Nnamdi Azikiwe University
In continuing with this tradition of excellence, CMLP has instituted the DAFE AKPEDEYE SAN ESSAY COMPETITION as a yearly event. Therefore, the next edition of the Competition will commence on 4th March 2022.